Monday, June 29, 2009

Little Grassy Island and the two hour paddle


I haven't written for months so here is a new post. Summer has arrived and I find myself missing winter, what is wrong with me? I actually think that 80 degrees is rather hot and I prefer the afternoon rain that has settled here for the past 6 weeks, blood really does acclimate. I love the unpredictability of the weather and the views that are created by the clouds and light. Two weekends ago I took a camping trip to Little Grassy Island with 3 friends, it is about a two hour paddle from the shore of Jackson lake. The small island is at the base of Mount Moran, and with the snow still on it you could fool anyone to think it is in the Alps. It rained most of the day and all the night, but I have rarely felt more peace and tranquility watching the sheets of rain pour over the lake and through the dark forest against the mountains. This place truly casts a spell at times and I am always amazed to be looking at a scene that is picture perfect and to be completely alone in this vast wilderness. We are so blessed to be here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura this is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait until we can come up and visit you and Nick. Took a couple of hiking trips to Yosemite, but I would really like to go where you are. Hopefully we can plan a trip soon and you can show us some of these beautiful spots. I am also looking forward to trying some of the exotic meats that you are cooking up. Any new recipes?

Sherrill :D